Alachua County Online Premarital Preparation Course

Marriage License and Florida Premarital Course in Alachua County

D’Arienzo Psychological Group has supplied information here from the Alachua County Marriage License website for your convenience.  We do provide the approved premarital course in an online format so you can save money on your marriage license and avoid waiting three days to have your marriage license issue to you. Contact our office today to get started. Click here for our Online Florida Premarital Preparation Class.

Marriage/Online Application

Online Marriage Application

The Clerk of the Circuit Court is the Marriage License issuing agent for the state.

Note: A three day waiting period may apply, see details in question 7.

The following are the most often asked questions regarding a marriage license or courthouse wedding:

1.What do I need to do to get a marriage license?
To obtain a marriage license both parties need to come in person to the Clerk’s office, at 201 East University Avenue, Gainesville, Florida, bring their Valid Photo Identification, provide their social security numbers (Or Valid Passport) and pay the marriage license fee. In addition, if either party has previously been married, they must supply the date and reason that marriage ended. Each person applying for a marriage license must also read the “Family Law Handbook”. This is required by law. 
The State of Florida requires both parties to complete form “AFFIRMATION OF COMMON CHILD(REN) BORN IN FLORIDA” under oath when applying for a marriage license if the following applies to you. If you are the parents of a child born in this state you are required to identify any such child you have in common by name, date of birth, place of birth. The State form will be made available to you when you come into our office for your license. 
2.What type of identification is a marriage license applicant required to produce?
Applicants are required to provide one of the following ID’s, and that ID must include his/her date of birth:

  1. A Florida identification card or driver’s license issued by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  2. A passport issued by the Department of State of the United States.
  3. A passport issued by a foreign government if the document is stamped by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.
  4. A driver’s license or an identification card issued by a public agency authorized to issue driver’s licenses in a state other than Florida, a territory of the United States, or Canada or Mexico.
  5. An identification card issued by any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
  6. An inmate identification card issued on or after January 1, 1991, by the Florida Department of Corrections for an inmate who is in the custody of the department.
  7. An inmate identification card issued by the United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Prisons, for an inmate who is in the custody of the department.
  8. A sworn, written statement from a sworn law enforcement officer as to the date of birth of an applicant and that the identification documents for an inmate in an institution of confinement were confiscated upon confinement and that the person named in the document is the person whose signature is to be notarized.
  9. An identification card issued by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.
3. How much does it cost to get a license?
The total cost for a license (including county and state fees) is $93.50. However, couples who have attended an approved premarital preparation class pay only $61.00. The provider has to be on a provider list pursuant to Florida Statute 741.0305(5) and the original Certificate of Completion for the class must be presented to the Clerk.
4. Do I have to pay the fee in cash?
Payment in full by cash or credit card is required. If payment is made by credit card, a $5.00 service charge is added by the credit card provider.
5. Do both parties have to be present at the Clerk’s office to apply for a license?
6. Do we have to have a blood test to apply for a license?
No. Blood tests for marriages in Florida are not required.
7. How long does it take to get a license?
Licenses are issued immediately. The process normally takes no more than 30 minutes. However, unless the couple has attended an approved premarital preparation class there is a three day waiting period before the license is effective and the marriage can take place. There is no waiting period if both parties are out of state residents.
8. What are the age restrictions for obtaining a marriage license?
To obtain a license without parental consent, both the male and female must be at least 18 years of age (the 18-year minimum age does not apply to individuals who have been married previously, nor to applicants who are parents or expectant parents).
9. Can an individual who is younger than 16 get a marriage license from the Clerk’s Office with parental permission?
Such an individual may apply for a license at the Clerk’s office. However, with or without parental permission, a marriage license to anyone under age 16 can only be issued upon approval of a county judge.
10. Is the signature of just one parent sufficient to qualify as parental permission for a minor to marry?
No. The permission of one parent is sufficient ONLY if that parent has sole legal custody of the minor or if the other parent is deceased.
11. How long is the marriage license valid?
Florida marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from their date of issue. They must be returned to the Clerk’s Office for recording within 10 days after the marriage is performed.
12. How long does it usually take to get a certified copy of our marriage record?
Certified copies are normally received within 10 days after the completed marriage certificate is returned to the Clerk’s office for recording in the county’s official records.
13. How much does it cost for a certified copy of a marriage certificate?
One certified copy is provided as part of the marriage license fee. There is no additional cost. Extra certified copies may be obtained for a fee of $3.00 each.
14. Do one or both of the marriage license applicants have to be American citizens?
No. There is no citizenship requirement.
15. Do we have to make an advance appointment for a license?
No. Licenses are issued without appointments during normal business hours, 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
16. Can the Clerk’s Office perform the marriage for us?
Yes. The Clerk of the Circuit Court can perform a civil marriage ceremony. There is a charge of $30 for that service. Call 374-3636 to make an advance appointment. You should bring two witnesses with you to the ceremony if possible. Rings are at the option of the parties.
17. My husband and I want to renew our vows. Do we need to get a license for this?
18. How do we go about renewing our marriage vows?
Talk to your clergyman, chaplain, or other religious adviser or personal counselor.
19. Do I have to have my divorce papers (or spouse’s death certificate) in order to apply for a marriage license?
You must be sure the divorce is final and you will need to know the date the judgement was signed. The application does require you to say when and how your last marriage ended (divorce, annulment, or death).
20. Do I have to bring a driver’s license or other form of official identification with me to obtain a marriage license?
Yes, proper photo identification such as a driver’s licence, Florida I.D. card, or passport is required.
21. Can I legally marry my nephew?
No. Although the marriage license application does not specifically ask about possible relationship of the parties, Florida law prohibits close blood relations from legally marrying. These include such relationships as:

  • parent-child
  • brother-sister
  • uncle-niece
  • aunt-nephew
22. Can two people of the same gender obtain a marriage license?
No. Florida law specifies that one applicant must be male and the other female.
23. Where is the Clerk’s Office located?
Marriage Licenses are issued at the Alachua County Family / Civil Justice Center located at 201 East University Avenue, Gainesville, Florida.
24. Can I marry outside the State of Florida with a Florida marriage license?
No. You can only use a Florida Marriage License in the State of Florida.
25. Can an ordained minister, active or retired judicial officer, circuit court clerk or notaries public from another state perform a marriage in Florida?
Per Florida Statute 741.07, all regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy, whether in this state or not, are authorized to perform marriages. Only Florida active or retired judicial officers, Florida court clerks or Florida notaries public are authorized to perform marriages in Florida.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s